niversity of Minnesota senior Chengde Yan plans to fly back to China on April 5, and his parents are breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Yan said his parents regularly check in with him about the number of confirmed cases in the University community and are worried that their only son will not receive adequate treatment if he contracts COVID-19.

Yan’s parents are not the only ones who worry about their children attending the University. With the coronavirus pandemic continuing to escalate, many parents of international students are hesitant in letting their children stay in the U.S. for the remainder of the spring semester. 

Many parents said that they worry about the high cost of healthcare in the U.S. They are also afraid that their children will not get access to adequate medical care once affected because of the shortage of medical resources in the U.S. and because their children are foreigners. Some parents are worried that the few resources the U.S. has will go to its citizens and not their children.

The University extended online instruction until the end of the spring semester, providing many international students the option of taking classes from their home country. All libraries and recreational and wellness services, except for mental health programming, are suspended on the Twin Cities campus.

Countries like China and South Korea have gained control over the outbreak within their borders compared to other countries with strict measures and government intervention. Meanwhile, the number of confirmed cases in the U.S. has soared.

As of Tuesday, there were more than 52,000 confirmed cases across the U.S., and at least 675 patients had died. The number of confirmed cases in Minnesota has jumped to 262, according to the New York Times.