MINNESOTA DAILY & COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS PRESENT:

Monday, Nov. 5th | Coffman Memorial Union
10 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. in the Great Hall

Join us as we gather together to honor the five freedoms of the First Amendment and the role they play in our day-to-day lives and the power of our student voice on the University of Minnesota campus at this year’s celebration.

Featured Speakers

10:30 a.m.
GREAT HALL

Jane Kirtley

Silha Professor of Media Ethics and Law, Hubbard School of Journalism and Mass Communication, University of Minnesota

10:45 a.m.
GREAT HALL

Jeanne Kilde

Director,
Religious Studies Program, University of Minnesota

11 a.m.
GREAT HALL

Tim Johnson

Distinguished Teaching Professor
of Political Science and Law,
Law School, University of Minnesota

11:30 a.m.
GREAT HALL

Jack Reuler

Artistic Director,
Mixed Blood Theatre Company Minneapolis, MN

Keynote Speaker

12 p.m. | GREAT HALL, COFFMAN MEMORIAL UNION

John Coleman

Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota

John Coleman is Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and a professor of political science. Since taking his post at CLA in 2014 he has focused his efforts in four key areas: ensuring that CLA alumni are the most desirable graduates available; relentlessly promoting and rewarding research and creative excellence; advancing diversity and inclusion of faculty, staff, and students; and deepening a culture of engagement with alumni, the community, and the state.

A nationally recognized scholar, he is the author or editor of seven books on American politics and government and numerous articles in edited volumes and major journals. His research interests include political parties, elections and voting, legislative-executive relations, divided government, campaign finance, and the intersection of politics and economics. Frequently consulted by both government entities and media outlets for his expertise on American politics, he has served as an expert witness and consultant on campaign finance, government accountability, and legislative communications.

A Massachusetts native, Dean Coleman earned a Ph.D. in political science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a B.A. summa cum laude in government and history from Clark University. Prior to his arrival at CLA he was Chair of the Political Science Department and a Lyons Family Faculty Fellow at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where he taught for over 20 years. Before that he held positions at the University of Texas at Austin and the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration.

The First Amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Our Sponsors

First Amendment Celebration ©2018 MNDaily Media.

OUR SPONSORS

UMN: College of Liberal Arts

UMN: Hubbard School of Journalism
and Mass Communication

UMN: Grand Challenge Curriculum

RAYGUN